At Painfree Dentistry we want our patients to have the best dental experience. For many the dentist is a place of dread. The treatments are considered painful and unpleasant. One of the common parts of their time at the dentist that patients do not like is the injection. This injection can put patients off completely. We are here to say this does not have to be the case. There are now new techniques which make injections a lot less painful and in some cases pain free.
Why Do Injections Hurt?
A dental injection will cause discomfort for many reasons. These include:
- Location – The tissues in your mouth react to the injection differently. That is why an injection can be painless in some places and painful in others.
- Needle Insertion – A dentist cannot give you an injection without it piercing the skin. It is a small pin prick that may cause some patients discomfort. It is over in seconds so this isn’t anything to be concerned about.
- Placing the Needle – After the needle is in the skin the dentist will have to put the needle in the correct place. Sometimes this can be uncomfortable but there are new techniques that makes this less painful or painless. The amount of discomfort depends on the patient and location.
- Solution Deposit – When the solution inside the needle is put into the tissue this can cause some pain. This depends on which part of the mouth has been injected.
What We Can Do to Make Injections Less Painful
There are few steps in the process that can be changed to make the injections less painful. The most common ways dentists use to lessen the discomfort of an injection are:
- Use of a computer controlled syringe – These new syringes are more precise. The syringes are less painful because the anaesthetic is given at a slow rate. This means that there isn’t any pressure created that causes pain. You get the correct dose in a slow and accurate way. The only thing you will feel is the needle prick and the discomfort will subside in seconds. You won’t feel the anaesthetic being put into the tissue.
- Temperature – There has been some research to suggest that an injection can be less painful it is as a certain temperature. The best temperature is believed to be between body and room temperature. When the solution is warmer it will go through the tissues easier. While some don’t believe it lessens pain, it can make the patient feel better to know their dentist is trying to make the injection less painful.
- DentalVibe – There is new technology available to make injections painless. One of those technologies is DentalVibe. This sends pulsations that sooth the area. It sends a message to the brain so you won’t feel as much pain. Dentists and patients have reported a more comfortable and stress-free experience.
What Can You Do?
Avoiding the dentist is not the best way to deal with fear about needles and dental treatment. The best thing you can do is talk to your dentist about any concerns. Dentists are here to help and know the injections aren’t pleasant so they will be compassionate. Together you and your dentist can create a solution that works. If they don’t know how you feel, nothing will get better. You can also look at some relaxation techniques online.
Contact the team at Painfree Dentistry today to hear more about our painless injections, treatments and more. We want our patients to:
- Combat anxiety
- Receive high quality treatment
- Not feel the dread of the dentist
- To have a comfortable experience
- To have the best dental health and a beautiful smile
We are here to help!