Ridge Expansion in Parramatta
At Painfree Dentistry, we offer the ridge expansion procedure. A ridge expansion may be performed if the height or width of the jaw is not wide enough for dental implants. It can also be used to fix indentations in the jawline. A ridge expansion can improve the function of your mouth, give you stable bone for implants that will last and can improve the cosmetic appearance of your teeth.
Why Would You Need a Ridge Expansion?
A ridge expansion is a successful treatment for bone loss in the lower and upper jaw. If you have decided to have dental implants, the implant needs enough bone to support it. However, in some patients, this isn’t the case. Having bone loss or lack of bone is treatable with a ridge expansion. Bone graft material can be added to a small space or ridge to create a stable foundation for your implants. The implants need the support of the jawbone to be fully functional and give the implants a long life.
Ridge expansions can also be used to fix indentations that can occur in the jawline near missing teeth. These indentations can cause difficulty in cleaning and can change the jawline’s appearance.
What Causes Bone Loss?
Bone loss is common and can be caused by a few things.
- Periodontal Disease – Gum disease can affect the jaw bone. Over time, the affected area will become unstable and will not support teeth or tooth implants.
- Trauma/Injury – Injuries to your mouth or jaw can cause bone loss. Some of the most common injuries are caused by contact sports such as rugby.
- Missing Teeth – When you have a missing tooth, there is no root. This wears down the jaw bone resulting in the bone is too thin, so it can’t support new implants.
- Dentures – Missing teeth cause bone loss, and so can dentures. Even though the tooth has been replaced, there is still no tooth root which causes the bone to recede.
- Problems with Development – There are development issues that can cause bone loss. The dentist will discuss such problems with you if it affects your dental health.
The Ridge Expansion Procedure
The procedure involves the ridge bone being divided and expanded open. Then the space created can be filled with bone graft material. Bone graft material can be placed months before the implant procedure begins. The bone graft material can be a bone substitute or can help the bone re-grow.
Treatment time can vary. In some cases, the implants can be put in quickly, right after the expansion. Other patients may need to wait for the ridge to heal. This could take around four to twelve months. It depends on the condition of the new bone.
Our highly trained and friendly dental team can perform this procedure efficiently and successfully. If you need any help or have any questions, concerns or enquiries about ridge expansions, dental implants, dental health and more, contact us today. Our helpful team will start your journey to the perfect smile.