One of the most common procedures you might hear about is a root canal. Not uncommon, they have a few different steps that successfully treat and save damaged teeth.
Root canals are necessary when there is an infection in a tooth's canals, which requires drilling, cleaning, disinfection and then sealing once repaired. Although this seems like a lengthy process, our Parramatta dentists are experienced and ready to help you achieve relief quickly.
Root Canal Procedures in Parramatta
- First, our dentist will need to take an x-ray of the tooth to gather some information on the infection and determine how many canals the tooth has.
- Then, the dentist places a rubber dam around the infected tooth to isolate it and numb the gums with a local anesthetic.
- Once the tooth and gums are numb, the dentist will drill a hole into the canals and remove the pulp and the infection inside the tooth. This part of the procedure also includes removing nerves and any bacteria as well. The dentist will then clean and thoroughly disinfect the inside of the tooth.
- After the inside of the tooth is clean and sanitised, the dentist will fill it with a compound called gutta-percha, put a filling in the hole at the top, and if necessary, place a crown on top.
- Adjustments to the procedure may be necessary depending on the severity of the infection.
Have a Toothache?
We invite you to call us at (02) 9199 7392 and find relief quickly if you believe you require a root canal. Our dental clinic is open seven days a week with dentists ready to help!